[Scottish] Forming New LUG

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Wed Dec 24 08:18:51 GMT 2003

Tony Dyer wrote:

> I have become increasingly disaffected by the lack of progress and
> decisions the charting SLUG's future. As such I intend to form a
> distinct UG, in the Greater Glasgow Area, devoted to a broad range of
> Open Source as well as Linux issues and taking in user as well as
> technical views. If anyone is interested in joining me please contact me
> at UG at dyer.demon.co.uk. I wish those who continue with SLUG every
> success in the future. My Heart and Head are no longer with my co-creation.

This kind of response is disappointing to say the least.  A lack of
progress and decisions regarding the LUG in the middle of December is
hardly something to get worked up about - this is a time when most people
are winding down and are possibly away from keyboards.

Some good comments have been made over the last couple of weeks, and while
formalised progress hasn't been decided upon, I think it's only fair to
mull over further comments and thoughts over the holiday period.  I notice
that you didn't participate in the discussion which you yourself initiated
on the 9th - any reason for that?  You could have guided that thread to
engage and enliven LUG members to be more proactive, but you didn't - why?
  You changed your mind from offering to turn up at meetings and do some
content for the website at around half past eight on Monday night to
forming another Glasgow LUG at about half past ten.  If you attribute your
change of heart to some indigestion after your dinner, I can somewhat
understand, but otherwise it just smacks of impatience and offhanded
irritation.

If you feel that your only way forward is to abandon the existing LUG and
attempt to form a new one, then good luck to you, but it seems an extremely
rash and ill-mannered decision to make.  If you want to take charge of
something and take it forward, why not do so with the existing LUG instead
of creating a new LUG, fragmenting the community?

I suggested earlier in the month that the community that is ScotLUG become
GLUG, retaining the current membership, times, goals, etc, and the ScotLUG
"brand" be used as an umbrella organisation to help bring together the LUG
communities in Scotland.  You are suggesting further fragmenting the
Scottish LUG community - can we have more details reasons why you feel this
is necessary?

Please don't take any of these comments as an attack - I genuinely would
like to hear your answers to my questions, and any other comments you wish
to make to make your position and thinking clearer.  if you still feel your
only course of action is to fragment the community, I again wish you luck
and also a guid new year.

--
_ __/|   ___  ___ __ _________ "When Microsoft Office is your only hammer,
\`O_o'  / _ \/ -_) // / __/ _ \ pretty much everything begins to look like