[Scottish] Debian: leafnode 1.9.27 keeps re-fetching all newsgroups from remote news-server(s)

Graeme Mathieson scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Jan 7 18:37:01 2003

[ If you ask on the Edlug list, the Debian package maintainer of
  Leafnode would be quite likely to notice, btw. :-) ]

On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 06:09:14PM +0000, David Marsh's list-reading hat wrote:

> I use leafnode (v1.9.27) for fetching news from several remote
> news-servers. Over the past few days, I have noticed that leafnode seems
> to be re-fetching the list of newsgroups from each server on every
> occasion that it runs, with messages such as:

Having never used leafnode, I don't know if it's a configuration
problem, but can you get a trace of the NNTP conversation?  Is it
issuing a 'newgroups' command, something like:

200 news.mathie.cx InterNetNews server INN 2.3.2 ready
MODE READER
200 news.mathie.cx InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.3.2 ready (posting ok).
AUTHINFO SIMPLE [username] [password]
281 Ok
NEWGROUPS 20020601 000000
231 New newsgroups follow.
uk.media.radio.bbc-r6 383 378 y
uk.media.tv.big-brother 4312 4306 y
comp.lang.php 16673 15535 y
uk.current-events.terrorism 10321 9309 y
uk.media.tv.six-feet-under 420 420 y
eduni.edlan 213 188 y
uk.media.radio.local 46 33 y
uk.politics.rural 611 578 y
.
QUIT
205 .

If it *is* doing something along those lines, then I'd check your clock.
:-)
--
mathie+sig@wossname.org.uk              http://www.wossname.org.uk/~mathie/