[Scottish] Debian: need help installing new kernel package

David Marsh's list-reading hat scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Mar 2 14:50:01 2003

I'm trying to upgrade my kernel under Debian.

I'm trying to install kernel-image-2.4.20-k7, but have got stuck.
Can anybody help me?

I get this:

You are attempting to install an initrd kernel image (version 2.4.20-k7)
This will not work unless you have configured your boot loader to use
initrd. (An initrd image is a kernel image that expects to use an
INITial Ram Disk to mount a minimal root file system into RAM and use
that for booting).
As a reminder, in order to configure lilo, you need to
add an 'initrd=/initrd.img' to the image=/vmlinuz
stanza of your /etc/lilo.conf
I repeat, You need to configure your boot loader. If you have already
done so, and you wish to get rid of this message, please put
  `do_initrd = Yes'
in /etc/kernel-img.conf. Note that this is optional, but if you do not,
you'll continue to see this message whenever you install a kernel
image using initrd.
Do you want to stop now? [Y/n]y
Ok, Aborting

erm, does this mean I should make /etc/lilo.conf look like this in the
appropriate place?

image=/vmlinuz
    initrd=/initrd.img
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    label=Linux
    read-only
#   restricted
#   alias=1
# ide-scsi added, dm 20021030
    append="hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi"

(ie, a new line added)

However, lilo complains:

Fatal: open /initrd.img: No such file or directory

errr, what now (as the old adventure games used to say..)?  :-(

--
David Marsh, <email valid @time of writing> | http://web.viewport.co.uk/