[Scottish] [OT] Anybody know about solaris?

Allan Bruce scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Mar 21 13:18:01 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Colin McKinnon" <colin@wew.co.uk>
To: <scottish@mailman.lug.org.uk>
Sent: Friday, March 21, 2003 12:28 PM
Subject: Re: [Scottish] [OT] Anybody know about solaris?

> Allan Bruce wrote:
>
> >Hi guys,
> >I am logging into a solaris workstation from Windows using SSH, and can
use
> >VNC tunneled to get an X desktop.  I would like to send the display of
> >another solaris machine back to the VNC X desktop, but dont know how.
> >Usually, if I was at the machine, I would type:
> >setenv DISPLAY compname:0
> >Now the VNC desktop is :1 but if I try that it still doesnt work.  Does
> >anybody know how to do this? (Sorry for the complete off-topicness but I
> >cant find anything else to help me)
> >Allan
> >
> I don't know how much help I can offer but here goes....
>
> You setup an SSH tunnel to Sun1, fire up VNC on Windows and connect to
> Sun1 where you have use of Sun1:1. No problems.
>
> If you were sitting at Sun1 you would type in the setenv conmmand...then
> what? Are you just trying to get programs running on the local screen?
> Do you want a CDE login for Sun2? What meesages do you get from Sun2
> when you try to open an xterm on Sun1:1? How do these systems sort out
> xauthentication (see man xauth)?
>
> HTH
>
> Colin
> (as you can tell its been a slow day here today)

I am hoping to run Netscape on Sun2 but view it on Sun1s desktop (a VNC
desktop).  The error message is:

Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
Error: Can't open display: genesis:1

If only vnc would run on Sun2, I would be happy but for some reason it says:
vncserver: unknown command
even though vncserver and Xvnc are in the path and they are also in the
directory I am currently in

Allan