[Scottish] Sending display to another machine

ray rayH at engineering-intelligence.co.uk
Thu Sep 25 16:29:23 BST 2003

On Thursday 25 September 2003 14:43, Allan Bruce wrote:
> I have tried VNC but it doesnt seem to work
> well with the new KDE - I dont get any icons or menus, which renders it
> pretty useless.

Presumably you want a remote connection to the graphical login window (kdm)

Message I got from Colin McKinnon six weeks ago:
Hi Ray,

I solved the VNC thing - the problem was that although I get a VNC session
runing after I was logged into the computer, I wanted to be able to initiate
the session via VNC (which doesn't have intrinsic support for usernames and
PAM).

All I needed to do was to enable the vnc service in xinetd.d and startup
xinetd. Hey presto - KDM.

(OK, its probably not as efficient as using the X Window protocol for writing
changes to the terminal screen, but it saves a lot of fiddling about with
fonts and colourmaps)

Colin
This refers to the KDE 3.1.3 on SuSE 8.2

> To make matters more difficult, I want to route the display back to a
> windows machine if possible.  Does anybody know if (and how) I can do this?

Use TightVNC on the MS-Win box (we were calling them windows on graphical BSD
boxes before there was such a thing as MS-DOS  .....  when I were a lad....)
and all will be well.  It really is easy.

Hmm Kmail isn't handling replying to a list very well.  No its the lug mailman
omitting the "Reply-To:" header.
--
 ray