[Scottish] Sending display to another machine

ray rayH at engineering-intelligence.co.uk
Fri Sep 26 11:06:26 BST 2003

On Friday 26 September 2003 10:40, Allan Bruce wrote:
> I am getting connected, and I see the backdrop of KDE
> but just no icons, menus or windows.  Well, sometimes they appear for a few
> milliseconds before disappearing, but mostly they are never there.  I do
> get the clipboard icon until I click it, and then it disappears too!

It seems that you are connecting to a running KDE session.  That session will
locally be required to grant permission for access.  The first  X session
will be 0 which is the default for TightVNC if you do not specify a session
number.
You do not want to be running KDE when you connect with VNC.  You need a local
VNC service running from xinetd to start kdm, or the Mandrake equivalent.
This will permit login to a new KDE session via VNC.

--
ray