[Scottish] Local news server

Colin McKinnon colin.mckinnon at ntlworld.com
Thu Feb 19 22:08:41 GMT 2004

On Thursday 19 February 2004 21:18, Ritchie Logan wrote:

> I got hold of a Toshiba Magnia SG20 internet appliance, which is
> essentially a legacy free PC running Red Hat 7.3. My intention is, to turn
> this thing on in the evening, and let it "mirror" a number of newsgroups
> for access via clients on the local network during the day. I want
> retention to be about a week.

Inn + suck should do the job although I've never tried it myself - always used
'leafnode' myself, and found it relatively easy to configure and next to zero
maintainence. It lets you define how long and how much news to keep. Its
brilliant in a low-bandwidth situation as it only downloads groups which you
have tried to read (recently).

The only thing I found it didn't do was local newsgroups - but there's a fork
which now does exactly that.

> Can anyone give me a pointer as to what I need to install on it to do the
> job. Hopefully there'll be RPMs available, as I don't think the Toshiba
> "doctored" version of Red Hat has much in the way of development software
> installed.

For leafnode, edit the config file and go! You might have to kick your
newsreader a couple of times before it realises that its talking to a
different news server with different message IDs, but once that's sorted then
that's about all you need to do.

If it's still an intel PC then you should just have to compile remotely and
upload (scp). I see it has a built in HD
(http://www.linuxdevices.com/articles/AT7915816249.html)  You might want to
think about how to do more general updates - RH 7.3 has just dropped off the
support charts. Easiest option might be to drop the HD into a PC with a
CDROM. Can you still get fullsize <-> 2.5 inch IDE cables?

> I've been on this list for a while, but my experience is pretty limited. I
> run Debian on my "normal" PCs.

Why not put Debian on the appliance then?

HTH

Colin