[Scottish] Dvd Burners and their fickle ways

Phil Deane phil at miracleexpress.force9.co.uk
Thu Jul 22 00:42:29 BST 2004

Hi Folks

I bought a new DVD Burner a Pioneer 107D. And have run into a  few problems.
Hoping you can help. I will keep the event chronological hopefully will help.

Before I start any mention of FLACS and SHNS are of taper friendly artists
such as Marc Cohn, Black Crowes and Chris Robinson, so all recordings are
legit.

Anyway.

Installed the drive.

Burned a data DVD full of FLACS and SHNS in k3b. After it burned tried to load
the FLACS and SHNS into XMMS, gave lots of errors. MD5 checked them and found
lots of errors. (I had checked the MD5's on the Hard Disc before burning and
all where fine)

Rebooted to Windows. Disc read fine, checked the MD5's all ok. Burned a new
disc in Windows, of different FLACS and SHN's. Played fine.

Rebooted to Linux and checked the Windows made disc, and all was fine and
dandy.

When I insert the linux made disc into my Dvd burner it will not read it, just
get 15 folders all called ????????. When I put it in the DVD Rom though it
reads fine, and when I MD5'd again all was fine.

I don;t understand that the only drive that will not read it is the burner and
in Linux, In windows it reads fine.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be eternally grateful.

--

Phil Deane
http://www.MiracleExpress.force9.co.uk