[Scottish] Suggestions/help with barcode scanner {Scanned}

Ben Thorp THORPB at uk.ibm.com
Fri Mar 19 16:32:52 GMT 2004

scottish-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk wrote on 19-03-2004 16:24:45:

> Ben,
> The rs232 port normally gives VERY low power output, even running 2
> IR-LEDs can overload some serial ports :(
> Are you sure there isnt any other connectors for power?

No - there aren't. However, I don't think it was designed to go into a
normal PC. You can run it off a battery pack, or direct from a 'host'
machine according to the manual, but I don't think a PC was what they would
normally mean by a host machine. The manual also suggests that the minimum
voltage would be 4.5, IIRC

> When you tried it on w2k did you bring up hyperterminal, connect
> direcly to the com port (speed 9600/1 stop/no parity) and try typing
> commands like AT <return>?

No - don't know anything about Win2k ;) Was really just looking to see if
any lights came on......