[Scottish] Media lab set up

Colin Fraser cfraser at force9.co.uk
Tue Apr 12 16:51:36 BST 2005

Alan R wrote:

>I was once an F9 subscriber. Sounds like they have maybe  learned from their
>experiences NOT to mess the customer around.
>
>At one point, don't know if its still true,  they wouldn't let you run PHP on
>your pages. You had to upload any pages with PHP to a sandbox environment and
>create a link from the actual page!

They still do, but no problem to me.  I just load my PHP/CGI (all of the
site!) onto the sandbox and then have index.html on the main web server
doing a redirect to the main page of the PHP. About ten minutes to set
up once and the space allocation is based on both server usage so no hit
there.

Mind you, I'.m not sure why the sandbox at all!

>They also shifted the goal posts a lot in terms of their user agreements,
>which pissed of a great many number of users.

But then, with the changes in the market (especially Max-DSL), the
goalposts are changing for everyone. I don't think there's an ISP -
whatever they're advertising now - that won't have to (and probably
quite soon).

>The final straw was when they took money from my bank account without asking!

Oops. No excuse there at all! I always start mumbling at the offenders
about the Direct Debit Charter and complaints to the clearing banks.
Scares them s%$tl&^s!

>For hosting nowadays, I use www.supanames.co.uk
>The best there is and extremely cheap.
>They say its always wise to shop around and never buy the all inclusive
>package from any one supplier. Never more true.

I'll admit I'm lucky in not needing to worry about a couple of quid a
month. For me it's the convenience really. I've had 'adequate' (actually
good) service from F9 in the time I've been with them and, for me, it's
handy having an inclusive package, so - if it ain't broke I won't fix it.