[Scottish] USB memory sticks and SuSE 9.3

Adam jiggy at clara.co.uk
Mon Jan 2 12:09:33 GMT 2006

Colin McKinnon wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> On Sunday 01 January 2006 23:54, Robert Barbour wrote:
>

>>The only indication I can find that the USB port is detected is when I go
>>into system information and it tells me the name of the memory stick -
>>presumably this is the 'volume label' allocated by the friend who provided
>>the stick.
>>

> So the physical hardware seems to be working OK. (on my SuSE 10 box, and IIRC
> SuSE 9.1, I can hot plug USB memory cards - the system automaticaly mounts
> them).
>
> What does mount show?
>
> What happens when you try to manually mount the disk (typically it will be
> mapped to the first free SCSI device - e.g. /dev/sda)?
>
> Try watching /var/log/messages while you plug it in (open a konsole window and
> type in
> 	su
> 	(your root password)
> 	tail -f /var/log/messages
>
> Can you access the disk from a different machine / a different operating
> system?
>
> Since your machine is detecting the disk, this rather suggests that it doesn't
> like the format of the disk (IIRC this came up on the list about a year ago -
> the poster resolved the problem by reformatting as a DOS disk).

Mines uses fat32 and Ive yet to find a distro that wont read it, its
been a while since I used Suse but on Fedora it automatically mounts in
media and not in mnt. But if it isnt mounting it properly you can also
try adding a line into /etc/fstab with the details and manually mounting
it, I could explain a bit better but my head hurts too much from the new
year ;o)

Cheers

Adam