[Scottish] USB memory sticks and SuSE 9.3

Colin McKinnon colin.mckinnon at ntlworld.com
Mon Jan 2 17:13:38 GMT 2006

Hi Robert,

On Sunday 01 January 2006 23:54, Robert Barbour wrote:

> The only indication I can find that the USB port is detected is when I go
> into system information and it tells me the name of the memory stick -
> presumably this is the 'volume label' allocated by the friend who provided
> the stick.

So the physical hardware seems to be working OK. (on my SuSE 10 box, and IIRC
SuSE 9.1, I can hot plug USB memory cards - the system automaticaly mounts
them).

What does mount show?

What happens when you try to manually mount the disk (typically it will be
mapped to the first free SCSI device - e.g. /dev/sda)?

Try watching /var/log/messages while you plug it in (open a konsole window and
type in
	su
	(your root password)
	tail -f /var/log/messages

Can you access the disk from a different machine / a different operating
system?

Since your machine is detecting the disk, this rather suggests that it doesn't
like the format of the disk (IIRC this came up on the list about a year ago -
the poster resolved the problem by reformatting as a DOS disk).

HTH

C.