[Scottish] Linux compatible Wireless router??

Chris Nicolson chris at c-nic.org
Tue Nov 7 16:51:44 GMT 2006

Colin.Speirs at scotland.gsi.gov.uk wrote:
 > There are two possibilities for a wireless interface. It comes with a
 > PCI card or a USB dongle. I am expecting that the PCI card won't work
 > with it, but that maybe, just maybe, the USB one might. Don't know why
 > I'm that optimistic, I just am.
 > Unless you can suggest a separate card that would be worthwhile getting?

It's impossible to say without knowing which particular interfaces they
are, but I think you'd actually have more luck with the PCI card rather
than the USB one. USB adapters usually do as little as possible in the
hardware, relying on proprietary drivers to do a lot of the work, even
more so than PCI adapters.

Is it possible to find out what interfaces are offered? Most useful
would be the what chip-sets they use as this determines what drivers are
required. You can then use the power of Google along with the name of
the Linux distribution you intend to use to perhaps find some info on
compatibility. If there are not open-source drivers available for the
interfaces then you may be able to use ndiswrapper around the Windows
drivers but it's not the most ideal solution!

As for recommending cards, I haven't bought any in a few years so I'm
not up-to-date with which have the best compatibility.

--
Chris Nicolson
Institute for Communications and Signal Processing