[Scottish] An American In Glasgow

Ben Thorp THORPB at uk.ibm.com
Tue Sep 26 13:50:12 BST 2006

scottish-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk wrote on 26/09/2006 13:44:08:

> Hiya,
>
> Just arrived in Glasgow and am looking to plug in.
>
> I've noticed there is a SLUG meeting this thursday, what is the turnout
like?

+1 if you show ;)

There's normally at least 10-20 folk there, sometimes more. This month is a
much more social occasion, which may attract some extras.

> Is there a good place (i.e. not PC World) to purchase hardware
> (new/used) locally or on the interweb? In the U.S. I used geeks.com
> but haven't found the U.K. equivalent.  How about a City Desk?

If it doesn't have too many moving parts, then Priceless Computing is
cheap.... opposite PC World in Finnieston. Tait Components is pretty
reliable (http://taitcomponents.co.uk/) but not as cheap. Online I have
bought from eBuyer.co.uk, scan.co.uk and amazon.co.uk mostly - ebuyer is
cheap, but apparently their returns process is a pain, scan is a little
more expensive, and I've have problems with their website not accurately
displaying stock levels, but the kit I've bought has been OK. Amazon is
amazon.....

Other folks probably have more experience in this than me.

Ben