[Scottish] isp and linux

Claudio Calvelli slug at intercal.dyn-o-saur.com
Sat Aug 11 17:20:28 BST 2007

> Claudio Calvelli wrote:
>
> > > Personally I thought Pipex was probably the best of the three.

I didn't write that, I was quoting from another message :-)

> Those I know
> with Pipex accounts had EXACTLY the same experience. so it might be good
> if your looking for Free or very cheap, but be prepared for a sudden
> insolvency!

Price doesn't seem to have anything to do with it though. You can have
extremely good service with a cheap one (including a decent behaviour by
the accounts department) and an extremely bad service with an expensive
one.

The smaller ISPs tend to care more about their customers, it's only when they
grow to the point that you become a number rather than a person that these
problems start.

I used to be with Bulldog (now part of Pipex) and they couldn't provide a
correct bill to save their lives (I am still waiting for the final bill
more than a year after leaving). However I haven't had a single problem
since moving to a smaller ISP who still cares about their customers.

I would recommend anybody chosing an ISP to read the relevant section of
http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/ and see what customers are complaining about
- with the obvious proviso that there seem to be people who "must" complain
about everything, even if the problem doesn't exist or if they aren't even
customers of the ISP in question and never have been.