[Scottish] Re: BBC/DRM

Ben Thorp THORPB at uk.ibm.com
Fri Feb 23 10:43:18 GMT 2007

It should probably be pointed out that the BBC finished their consultation
process before the original email was sent. The objections raised by both
Mac and Linux users was noted in their response, and they are looking to
have an available client for other platforms as soon as possible, but will
be going ahead with the scheme as planned.

I spent a lot of time thinking about the DRM issue when answering their
questions - I am against DRM as a whole, but I am also aware that many
people are more "pro-copyright infringement" than they are "against DRM"
(yes, I'm oversimplifying). My basic stance for the BBC quesionnaire is
that I don't see why digital media should have additional restrictions
over analog media - I should be able to acheive everything I can do with
my video recorder with the new digital media.

Ben

Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.