moRe: [Scottish] time spent on Linux stuff...

J.R. Seago j.r.seago at dsl.pipex.com
Wed Feb 28 22:37:58 GMT 2007

On Wednesday 28 February 2007 22:07,  "babaguy"<babaguy at myway.com>wrote:
> but the trouble is there *are* (mostly) no discernable icons, and when
> there *is* an icon on the desktop, there's nothing in it! It's just a
> pretty little picture lurking on my G-noam-ie...Onward !   (and Thank you
> all very much - the reason I keep turning to you guys is that when I look

Firstly an apology to all on the list as I am an offender in the subject
line matter.

Secondly to "babaguy", I,being a newcomer to the list have no idea how long
you have been struggling with GNU/Linux. You might find a more up to date
version of 'Ubuntu more usable, and may perhaps get on better if you try
re-installing but using Kubuntu http://www.kubuntu.org/.

When Windows®/Microsoft® crashed on me for the last time, and went looking
for something else, in the days when 512 megabytes was a really BIG hard
drive, I found the then Gnome, shall we say less than helpfull, and KDE
much more easily understood and usable. Of course I maybe trying to teach
my granny to suck eggs, especially as I just swapped one GUI,
(Windows®/Microsoft®), for another (Slackware®), but thats one of the first
I tried, and I've always found its fearsome reputation undeserved.

Why Ubuntu? If you're going to  use Debian, why not install Debian, and not
an imitation? If you're going to use an imitation, no matter how good, then
why not Knoppix?
--
J.R. Seago
GNU/Linux Registered User No. #219566   http://counter.li.org/