moRe: [Scottish] Broadband Question...

Gordon JC Pearce gordon at gjcp.net
Mon Jan 15 08:05:27 GMT 2007

William Anderson wrote:
> Gordon JC Pearce wrote:
>> babaguy wrote:
>>
>>> If anyone else can PLEASE (I really MEAN these capitals, I *would*
>>> like to be able to use my Linux to actually *do* something)
>>> help me with configuring a modem (either BT VOYAGER ADSL or THOMSON
>>> Speed Touch 330)
>> They're shit.  Throw them away.  Seriously.  They barely work in
>> Windows, and the manufacturers refuse to give out any information on how
>> to make them work in Linux.  Get rid, and buy an ADSL router.  They're
>> relatively cheap, especially once you consider the value of your time
>> wasted in trying to get a broken-by-design sack of cack working against
>> its will.
>
> IME Speedtouch 330s work Just Fine under Ubuntu after following the docs

In as far as they ever work.  I've never seen one that actually worked
properly.

> And Gordon, why not throw away your PDP?  It's shit, seriously. :)

Ah, now here we come to a different issue.  The PDP11 is a toy,
basically.  It works extremely well, and very reliably.  It doesn't
entirely fail to get me connected to the Internet, and it wasn't
designed by a Chinese primary-school child to be built for a parts cost
of less than $1.  The difference here is that it actually does what it's
supposed to do.

Gordon