[Scottish] Opinion Wanted - Aberdeen Linux Community

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Wed Sep 5 18:58:45 BST 2007

Marcel Hecko wrote:
> Hi all,
> I would like to announce that we have given away 30 refurbished PCs with
> Ubuntu to the people in Middlefield area in Aberdeen for free to use
> with free Internet access. This project is partly funded by Aberdeen
> City Council to bridge digital divine and tackle digital inclusion issues.
>
> I would really like to know how big you you recognize our Linux
> community - are there any more projects like this one in Scotland or do
> you know about any other bigger community of people using Linux as their
> primary OS? Please mind that none of these people have used Linux before
> and so far they are perfectly satisfied with the service.
>
> Is it possible that this might be the biggest Linux community in
> Scotland, maybe even in Britain?

I don't understand the question.  Giving away 30 Ubuntu-laden machines,
while excellent and laudable, is a drop in the ocean of Aberdeen's
200,000 population.  Surely the best way to gauge how popular Linux is
in an area (on a strictly superficial basis) is to visit a LUG?  No real
metrics on this sort of thing are being collected as far as I know, so
it's a very intangible thing to ask how big a Linux community is in a
specific area.

There are more than 30 people who attend ScotLUG, so there's a bigger
community right there ;)

-n