[Scottish] BBC iPlayer for Macintosh but not for linux, for a long time, if ever . . .

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Mon Feb 11 08:37:41 GMT 2008

On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 12:45:44AM +0000, William Anderson wrote:
> Also, iPlayer works great under Linux using the streaming service.  How
> zealous do we all want to be just to download massive video files and
> keep them for 7 days?

I actually have a use case for it at the moment. I have fast broadband at
home but none at my weekly residence at work. I'd like to be able to use
iPlayer to legitimately download TV programmes from the previous week to
watch whilst away from home. Pretty reasonable given the Windows people can
do this.

I thought I'd have a go at running iPlayer under XP in a QEMU VM and it
worked very well for downloading. Playback under the vm is somewhat sucky
though. Of course I could use some nafarious tools to break the DRM on the
video to allow me to play it on the host but it's then getting messy.

Shame really, as you say the streaming service works fairly well. I suspect
that the protocol used to deliver the stream will be reverse engineered and
put in a firefox extension before long (AIUI they [downloadhelper] are
already working on it), and long before a native Linux port of whatever is
needed to make things legitimately downloadable is available.

Cheers,
Al.