[Scottish] Bluetooth woes

Colin McKinnon colin.mckinnon at ntlworld.com
Tue Jun 3 22:11:00 BST 2008

On Tuesday 03 June 2008 08:10:53 am Gary Hendricks wrote:

> It is not just Cr^H^HBlackberry that is having issues. Nokia too.
> I am not in the Cr^H^HBlackberry clan, but others at the office were
> lamenting the issues as well.

Thanks Gary - it's very reassuring two know it's not me - and saves me a lot
of pain mesing with other distro's if the phone is at fault. I must confess
that I am less than impressed with this device which I've heard people from
non-technical backgrounds praising for years. I'd only had it for 6 hours
before I reported the first bug back to Vodafone.

Spurred on by your comments, I hit google again, and found
http://linuxappfinder.com/blog/transferring_files_over_bluetooth_using_a_blackberry_curve_pearl_8800
Following the instructions there I was able to get the phone to appear in
kbluemon and kbluelock, but still no joy with the OBEX push client (trying to
put files on the phone). It just doesn't list the phone as an available
device.

> In some cases I noticed I get a new device /dev/usb0 or /dev/ACM0
> (something like that anyways) which some of the bits of software tries
> to use. Some with limited success. No hoorays here though.

My Blackberry won't even talk to my home PC over USB - it complains there's
not enough power and is never detected by the PC. I may resort to a microSD
card to transfer stuff across. Or even reboot my old laptop in XP.

C.