[Scottish] Two talks with demonstrations, EdLUG 5th June

Dan Shearer dan at shearer.org
Fri May 9 23:55:49 BST 2008

I'm told the next meeting of EdLUG will be on Thursday 5th June at 7:30pm at
The Edinburgh Training and Conference Venue, St Marys Street Edinburgh. For
more details including a map see http://www.scotlug.org.uk/wiki/EdLUG:Meetings .

Robert Mclay: SME Server
------------------------

Live demo of SME Server, with some background.

"SME" stand for Small to Medium Enterprise, and this is the target
market of the OS. Think of it as a Linux sheep in Windows clothing, with
a level of integration closer to what is expected in Windows than Linux.
This is aimed at being a drop-in replacement for a traditional Linux
server for < = 500 user LANs. The trusty WRT54G may make another
appearance in a supporting role.

SME Server is a Linux distro used as web, file, email and database
servers.  Based on CentOS, SME's main goals are simplicity, reliability,
& security. All configuration is done through the web front-end, or an
SSH connection.

 *  (break for coffee)  *

Alastair Bennett: Open Source Hardware
--------------------------------------

Over the last decade the Open Source concept has been paralleled in
hardware.  Not as much and not as fast, but with visible success.
Skipping the boring definitions, I will briefly run through three
projects that to illustrate what is available today:

    * RepRap 3D printer
    * OpenMoko mobile phones
    * Ardunio microcontroller board

For a grand finale I will do a demo of an Ardunio board doing something,
at the very least being waved around by me.

--
Dan Shearer
dan at shearer.org