[Sderby] Compact Flash Disks

David Bottrill sderby at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Oct 18 20:05:01 2002

Guys,

Some of us were talkng about using IDE Compact Flash disk adapers for
router / firewall project.

I have found this supplier that is really cheap and I am thinking of
placing an order.

Have a look at their site and see if you might be interrested.

www.flashmemory.com.au/shop/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=3&cat=FlashMemory+Disk+Drives

Couple one of these with a 256MB Compact Flash card and you could make a
very quiet Smoothwall based firewall. These adapters make the card look
like an IDE drive to the BIOS or OS so no no drivers are required. Not
only will you get a silent disk with no moving parts, but the power
utilisation will be significantly reduced.

If I can summon up enough interrest I will place an order. With TAX it
looks like they will work out at approx 20 pounds which is a bargain if
you ask me.

David Bottrill