[Sderby] Open Office and Suse and various problems

Dominic Knight sderby at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Sep 5 18:34:01 2002

On Tuesday 03 September 2002 20:22, tony martin wrote:
> Dave's not the only one with Office problems. When trying to open an
> "rtf" it just crashes. Blah.

It won't solve your office problem but Abiword can probably read an rtf,=20
alternatively I seem to remember there is an rtfto{other file type} comma=
nd,=20
maybe I remember wrongly though.

> Also, "find" is very slow. (very very slow). On a 1200 athlon, 256mb
> RAM, SCSI Ultra wide 8gb. It takes several minutes just to do a simple
> file search. Any thoughts? I only have about 300mb spare on the disk
> now. Could that be part of the problem?

for me, find can search a 1.5Gb folder in less than a second, this is on =
a=20
P150 with around 140MB ram so you certainly have a problem somewhere, try=
 top=20
to see what is running, also try free to see what it says about your mem=20
usage. While less than 5%, I would have thought 300MB spare was plenty to=
 go=20
at.

Dom

<snip>