[Sderby] RE: C lessons

David Jolley sderby at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Apr 25 13:25:00 2003

* andre.hefer@avhservices.co.uk (andre.hefer@avhservices.co.uk) wrote:
> David
>
> I am definitely interested in the re-written C lessons. Is it possible that
> we could place this on the Wiki and edit the lectures interactively?

If I'm understanding Dave C's copyright problem with the lectures,
then probably no - this is just as bad as putting them on the
website. Dave C will have to answer this though - afterall they would
be there in their original form for a very short space of time...

Dave C may also want to look at the modified documents before release,
just to ok them (i.e. that enough has been changed).

I'd actually like for the lectures to be put on the website proper,
where HTML documents can be properly cross-linked.  This would allow
for the lectures to be written in something like DocBook format, where
different formats are output from the same source, allowing HTML, PDF,
PS etc, without having to edit multiple files.
Of course, it may be possible to write a Wiki backend for DocBook, but
I don't fancy trying it unless I absolutely *have* to :)

> Now that we have the the hub and the broadband connection in Moira, we could
> do the C lessons on our own laptops and download the sample code directly
> off the website. I always find that I learn quicker when I have the ability
> to execute the code as well.

Yes, this is perfectly possible.  However, I don't have a laptop, and
can't bring a Linux machine to the meetings (it runs my web and email,
plus is the primary DNS for my domain, so I can't unplug it).
I'm more than happy to hover behind people when they want help with
it, though.

Just out of interest, what are people expecting to get out of a C
course?  It'd help if I knew where we were going with this, before
starting out, then we don't end up with a series of C lectures which
are essentially not what people want.

Cheers,

Dave.