[Sderby] kppp & SuSE Linux 8.1

Tony Martin sderby at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Jan 24 09:08:01 2003

Dear David, I must say I feel very much the same as you, frustrated at
getting things to work, yet I definitely think that Linux is the future
of computing (Although I think a complete redisign of hardware and
software from the ground up will be seen as the only way to get a stable
computer within the next 5-10 years.)

Wants followed by IMHO the current state (0-10) of  SUSE 8.0  (I have
tried 8.1and found it to be very buggy although others have reported
very favourably on it.)

To install with a GUI with good quality help that does not have you
reaching for a dictionary (9)
Divers available for all but the most recent kit  (8)
Automatic and manual update. (8)
Modem drivers and assosiated software for all modems including Win
modems which most people have (0)  I have never got a modem going with
Linux including an external bought one especially for it!
Connecting via DSL just worked without any problems. (10)
Change of screen resolution as easy as Windows (2)
Installation of programs on original disks  (9)
Installation of external software (3) Very few come with a easily
workable loader.
Range of software (6) Mozilla, GIMP and Open office, are excellent and I
currently use the Windows versions (I have SUSE 8.1 installed currently
but I will be going back to 8.0)
Availability of internet help, quantity (10) how easy is it to
understand and implement (3)
Cut and paste between applications (2) So simple, yet so not implemented
   8(
Help from groups such as this (11) Very helpful and probably the best
asset Linux has  8)

IMHO there are some myths about Linux that with my limited experience I
think are incorrect (perhaps due to my familiarity with Windows and my
lack of knowledge of Linux?, I am sure someone will put me right on that
(and I don't mind one bit  8).
"Linux needs less resources than Windows",  so far Linux seems to gobble
resources just as well as Windows.
"Linux is much more stable than Windows" Possibly, but could this at
least be part due to the amount of different things that people run on
Windows. For a couple of years I have used my PC as a Video recorder,
hifi,  and all the rest of the stuff. Linux has only just started to
make these things available?

I have attempted at least 100 installs of Linux over the past 2-3 years
(Corel, Caldera, Mandrake 6,7,8,9, SUSE 7, 8, Red Hat, plus two others I
can't remember) so I feel I am kind of an "experienced newbie" 8)

SUSE 8.0 has been by far the most sucessful install for me.

I did have 8.0 running for a month or two and moved all my stuff to it
to use on a daily basis. Unfortunately it ran out of HDD space and the
whole thing just fell to pieces and I lost my email and other files.

What I would say is most encouraging is the rate at which Linux has
improved over the last few years.

I'm also not very knowledgable on Netiquete so hope I havn't upset, and
just would like to say thanks to all the members who have been so very
helpful over the last year or so.

Tony