[Sderby] kppp & SuSE Linux 8.1

Ashley Heath sderby at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Jan 24 22:18:25 2003

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003 09:07:28 +0000
Tony Martin <tony.martin11@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> Dear David, I must say I feel very much the same as you, frustrated at
> getting things to work, yet I definitely think that Linux is the future
> of computing (Although I think a complete redisign of hardware and
> software from the ground up will be seen as the only way to get a stable
> computer within the next 5-10 years.)

Linux in my opinion is still in its infancy as a desktop OS, but why do we all use it, not because it is the lastest and greatest, but because it has proven itself to be a stable and reliable OS over many years. I agree with Tony that Linux is the future, but disagree with the concept that all hardware and software needs to be redesigned, I have a perfectly stable system running Linux, does over 95% of everything I need and apart from the hardware cost everything else is free software.

At work I support a mainly M$ system base and the crap we have to put up with on a day to day basis is unbelievable. Only this week I had a server completely freeze up on me several times because of a router problem, could not gain access via the keyboard or remotely, the only option was to power the server off and back on, if this had been running Linux I think it would probably have taken half the time to resolve..

> Wants followed by IMHO the current state (0-10) of  SUSE 8.0  (I have
> tried 8.1and found it to be very buggy although others have reported
> very favourably on it.)
>
> To install with a GUI with good quality help that does not have you
> reaching for a dictionary (9)

I agree, Linux is still a way off for the absolute beginner, but bear in mind that most PC's bought in the UK come preinstalled with windows ready to go. Imagine your very first PC experience installing your own OS for the first time. A daunting task for any newcomer.

> Divers available for all but the most recent kit  (8)
> Automatic and manual update. (8)
> Modem drivers and assosiated software for all modems including Win
> modems which most people have (0)  I have never got a modem going with
> Linux including an external bought one especially for it!

I have a winmodem working under Linux, took a while to find a driver module, but it works fine.

> Connecting via DSL just worked without any problems. (10)
> Change of screen resolution as easy as Windows (2)

It is easier than windows, CTL + ALT + (Numpad +/-) will change resolutions on the fly (need to be specified in your XF86Config)
Couple of other tips, although I am no expert I would welcome more
CTL + ALT + BACKSPACE will restart the X Server from within your window manager
CTL + ALT + ESC will bring up xkill , just drag over a problem app and click to kill it

> Installation of programs on original disks  (9)
> Installation of external software (3) Very few come with a easily
> workable loader.

Agreed, this does vary considerably.

> Range of software (6) Mozilla, GIMP and Open office, are excellent and I
> currently use the Windows versions (I have SUSE 8.1 installed currently
> but I will be going back to 8.0)
> Availability of internet help, quantity (10) how easy is it to
> understand and implement (3)
> Cut and paste between applications (2) So simple, yet so not implemented
>    8(

Does work OK, just not what you would expect under windows and takes a bit of getting used to.

Also try groups.google.com and www.google.com/linux

> IMHO there are some myths about Linux that with my limited experience I
> think are incorrect (perhaps due to my familiarity with Windows and my
> lack of knowledge of Linux?, I am sure someone will put me right on that
> (and I don't mind one bit  8).
> "Linux needs less resources than Windows",  so far Linux seems to gobble
> resources just as well as Windows.

Depends on the useage, if running full KDE with all the nice stuff turned on then probably so, if running a leaner xwindows manager or as a server with no X running then consumes considerably less resources.

> "Linux is much more stable than Windows" Possibly, but could this at
> least be part due to the amount of different things that people run on
> Windows. For a couple of years I have used my PC as a Video recorder,
> hifi,  and all the rest of the stuff. Linux has only just started to
> make these things available?

Linux is still up and coming in the desktop OS arena, most stuff on Windows costs money to run legally. Linux is catching up rapidly in this area, but most stuff is free, you just have to weigh up the difference.

> I have attempted at least 100 installs of Linux over the past 2-3 years
> (Corel, Caldera, Mandrake 6,7,8,9, SUSE 7, 8, Red Hat, plus two others I
> can't remember) so I feel I am kind of an "experienced newbie" 8)
>
> SUSE 8.0 has been by far the most sucessful install for me.

My advice is find a distribution that works for you and stick with it, don't be tempted into the M$ arena and upgrade evertime a new version is released, I was always the first to do this but learned my lessons the hard way a long time ago. If you want a stable system wait a few months after each release before upgrading and only then after weighing up the benefits of doing so. If you want to try the lastest stuff dual boot or run it on another PC so that you can try it out first.

> I did have 8.0 running for a month or two and moved all my stuff to it
> to use on a daily basis. Unfortunately it ran out of HDD space and the
> whole thing just fell to pieces and I lost my email and other files.

Knoppix runs from CD, no need to install, maybe you could have recovered your files using something like this (Discovered this recently) or using the rescue mode of your distribution.

> What I would say is most encouraging is the rate at which Linux has
> improved over the last few years.

Wow, hell yes, I dabbled several times over the last 2-3 years and only recently became a convert, it is a steep learing curve especially if you have grown up only knowing windows.

> I'm also not very knowledgable on Netiquete so hope I havn't upset, and
> just would like to say thanks to all the members who have been so very
> helpful over the last year or so.

We all have to start somewhere, I can't speak for everyone but we are all here to help if we can.