[Sderby] Email Services To Windows Clients

David Robson david.robson at virgin.net
Wed Nov 26 18:09:55 GMT 2003

On Tuesday 25 November 2003 10:27 pm, Roger Shone wrote:
> EMAIL SERVER
>
> I currently use vpop3 to provide email services to a windows network at
> the office and am looking to put in a linux server to replace it, as I
> have to shut down the server almost daily due to errors in collecting
> mail / talking to the isp's server etc. It would also give me the added
> benefits of file security etc which is becoming more and more important
> as the business grows (currently files are held on a peer to peer
> machine with a shared folder!).
>
> Having checked the linux sites on the internet it looks like I'm going
> to have to get quite heavily involved in learning to use both sendmail
> and fetchmail to achieve what vpop3 is currently providing.
>
> The query is - does anyone out there know either of a user friendly
> front-end for these programs or indeed an alternative solution
> altogether. I am a relative newcomer to Linux having used redhat 8 at
> home - redhat 9 will be the package used to set this up.
>
> All suggestions gratefully received.

hey,

Way back when i started at my previous job, they had a similar setup, and very
very quickly i got very very sick of the same thing your describing, needing
to reboot the server just becasue it "hung" when reciving mails ( i found it
was attachements that seemed to cause it) - but anyway, i switched it to a
linux server using SuSE 8.0 at the time (i think) using postfix.  The fact we
also ran some expensive email virus scanner plugin for it, which had to be
renewed every couple of years was a bonus, replaced it with procmail
sanitizer ( http://www.impsec.org/email-tools/procmail-security.html ) while
this isnt actaully a AV product, imho its better, as it dosnt even think
about trusting files just becuase they dont match a virus pattern, and it
also prevents all those nasty outlook scriping virus getting anywhere, as all
the script is defanged before the user's got it.  Bascaily i setup suse on a
offline box, using webmin for the postfix setup, which was farily easy, and
once it was ready i just swaped the 2 system over night, noone even noticed
it had swaped, until my boss asked if i still thought it was worth swapping
now that the mail server seems to be working ok all the time....... *sigh* :)

anyway - to summarize id personaly recommend:
* SuSE - its nice n easy to setup :)
* Procmail
* PostFix
* WebMin
* Imapd / qpopper (depending on your prefrence)
* Fetchmail - have this poll the ISP mailbox, and distribute it localy to
procmail user's - works just like vpop3 :)

(if you want webmail too)
* Apache
* SquirrelMail

- --
Rob

GnuPG key: 1024D/309586CA
Fingerprint: 952A 4EB9 CC81 F30A 35CF  D473 BF12 FD80 3095 86CA
Key available at http://pgp.mit.edu