[Sderby] Re: Bad internet speed only on one www page

Sam Styles s.styles at lathamarchitects.co.uk
Mon Dec 13 13:40:23 GMT 2004

>Well, it sounds very much like an issue on the server that provides the
>webpage, not something to do with your client.  If it's a generally
>accessible page maybe you could post the URL so a couple of us can see
>if we have the same experience.

>Later in your mail you refer to firewall problems.  What firewall are
>you using?  I can't remember offhand what M10.x uses, and I haven't
>used one on my actual box myself for a long time (I use an external
>firewall in my router).

>I used to use shorewall; I think Mandrake may use that one by default: in
>which case (if memory serves) you'd stop the firewall by doing a "service
>shorewall stop" as root.

Many thanks for your reply. The forum is http://www.amphot.co.uk . I've
spoken to site Admin and he set up a Mandrake 10.1 box, tried the website
and got on ok aparently.

Im pretty sure the firewall is Shorewall, as you say. I take it the 'service
shorewall stop' will halt the whole firewall. I'll do that as a test but if
I do it regular won't the machine be vulnerable, or do you think I'll be
safe enough just disabling it every time I visit the forum?

---