[Sderby] Red Hat 9 Modem Config Problem

CFDColin at aol.com CFDColin at aol.com
Wed Dec 22 12:46:17 GMT 2004

Hello,

I've loaded RH9 which seems to run fine - but I've like to be able to  access
the internet with it.

I'm using an external 56k, PC Line (PC World's own brand)  Data/Fax/Voice
modem, which connects to the PC via a USB port.

It works fine under Win2k [as you can see from this e-mail] and when I  check
the hardware via the Win2k device manager, the modem claims to be
manufactured by Connexant and connected via COM3.

I've been following the config procedure in Chapter 8 of Bill  Ball & Hoyt
Duff's book, Red Hat Linux 9 Unleashed.  But I'm struggling  with the PPP set up.

I confirmed that the loopback interface is OK (/sbin/ifconfig).  I  then went
on to check whether PPP is installed - as Ball & Hoyt  advise.  They claim
the command pppd --help should elicit info  about PPP.  It doesn't on my
installation, so I assume it isn't  installed.

Using the command rpm -V PPP - Chapter 8 of Ball & Hoyt - I confirmed  its
absence and so I'm pretty sure it's not loaded.

In order to install PPP, I tried using the command rpm -i PPP,  but this
doesn't seem to work.

Can you offer any help or refer me to another source of info that might
allow me to progress.

Best regards,

Colin Young