[Sderby] Red Hat 9 Modem Config Problem

Ashley Heath ashley.heath at bigfoot.com
Thu Dec 23 12:41:06 GMT 2004

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 07:45:57 EST
CFDColin at aol.com wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've loaded RH9 which seems to run fine - but I've like to be able to  access
> the internet with it.
>
> I'm using an external 56k, PC Line (PC World's own brand)  Data/Fax/Voice
> modem, which connects to the PC via a USB port.
>
> It works fine under Win2k [as you can see from this e-mail] and when I  check
> the hardware via the Win2k device manager, the modem claims to be
> manufactured by Connexant and connected via COM3.
>
> I've been following the config procedure in Chapter 8 of Bill  Ball & Hoyt
> Duff's book, Red Hat Linux 9 Unleashed.  But I'm struggling  with the PPP set up.
>
> I confirmed that the loopback interface is OK (/sbin/ifconfig).  I  then went
> on to check whether PPP is installed - as Ball & Hoyt  advise.  They claim
> the command pppd --help should elicit info  about PPP.  It doesn't on my
> installation, so I assume it isn't  installed.
>
> Using the command rpm -V PPP - Chapter 8 of Ball & Hoyt - I confirmed  its
> absence and so I'm pretty sure it's not loaded.
>
> In order to install PPP, I tried using the command rpm -i PPP,  but this
> doesn't seem to work.
>
> Can you offer any help or refer me to another source of info that might
> allow me to progress.

Installing an rpm from the command line requires the full path to the package and the full package name, you would also need to install any dependant packages as well.

The easiest option would be to use the Redhat 'Package Management Tool' from the GUI. You can either select just the PPP package or a package group which contains preselected packages for most common requirements.

Here's a link to a section of the getting started guide for installing packages
https://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/getting-started-guide/s1-updating-pkgs-cdrom.html

All other Redhat Linux reference material can be found here
https://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/

Hope this helps
Ash