[Sderby] Gentoo Linux Installation

ROGER SHONE roger.shone at btinternet.com
Sun Mar 7 19:08:47 GMT 2004

I've finally bit the bullet and got rid of microsoft
Windows on my home pc in favour of running Fedora Core
1 - so far so good.

I then thought (having had it suggested recently in
one of the replies to my other posts) that I would try
Gentoo. Having duly downloaded the livecd and gone
through the instructions on the website (text based
internet - took me back to the days of CIX in the
early 90's!) I built the kernel / amended the
grub.conf file, but can't get the system to boot up.
All the necessary files are however there when I mount
the partition under redhat.

On boot the kernel dumps out saying couldn't mount
root on /dev/hde4 - pass a valid argument to the
kernel (or such like). My system has a cdrom on ide1
master and a 120gb serial ata disk on the first serial
channel.

Suggestions gratefully received - I'm not sure I can
face a third night of re-installing only to get the
same messages.

Regards,

Roger Shone