[Sderby] Gentoo Linux Installation

Paul Grosse paul-grosse at ntlworld.com
Mon Mar 8 08:18:50 GMT 2004

Not so much help as sympathy...

I bought a clean box and was looking for something to load onto it so I
tired slackware -- it stumbled on something (I can't remember what it was)
and I tried again but the same thing happened so then I tried Gentoo and
that took hours to compile the kernel and then that fell over at some point
so I tried that again (using a slightly different appeoach -- compiling less
the second time) and the same happened so then I tried SuSE Linux 8.2 and it
installed faster and easier than Windows XP. No problems with SuSE.

Gentoo certainly has a nice feel to having compiled something on your own
machine but if it falls down and having followed verbatim the instructions
on the website (I was using another machine to run the browser) both times
(ie following a different route for each time) and invested three days into
trying to get an OS onto the box, I got fed and too what is for some people
the easy way out. Maybe next time with a box that is totally compatible with
Gentoo.

It's now running SuSE without any problems and on a MS free box (is there a
sticker you can put on the box that says that?). At some point I'm going to
upgrade to 9.0 but I'm going to get this bit of work out of the way first.

Paul Grosse