[Sderby] This thing called Windoze.

Ian Simpson info at jensys.net
Thu May 6 08:09:45 BST 2004

Just had a new pc built up for me by Zodiac Computers of
Alvaston - they were quite happy for me to supply my own OS.
Guess what - it wasn't XP :-)

On 05/05/2004 at 17:41 you wrote:

>Excuse me, but ...
>
>How can forcing you to buy a windows license be LEGAL? Don't we
have
>like fair trade laws or something that prevent this? Or at
least some
>kind of consumer laws? What if you went to a resteraunt for a
meal and
>they just added on 80 pounds worth of food to the bill - that
you had
>never ordered and even expressely stated you DIDNT want?
>
>Surely there is some consumer 'statutary' rights being violated
here?!
>What about EEC regs etc?
>
>G.
>
>On Wed, 2004-05-05 at 15:59, Paul Grosse wrote:
>> > Your only options
>> <snip>
>> > or to build your own.
>>
>> I like the idea of people going down to Maplins or wherever
pricing up
>all
>> of the bits, finding out that it is cheaper by a hundred quid
to build
>their
>> own, buying it, taking it home, spending the weekend putting
it toether
>> really carefully, starting the thing up and then realising
that there is
>no
>> OS. They then look up the price of MS whatever (what's the
next one's
>code
>> name: Windscale??? or have Acordis got that one for their
next renaming
>:-))
>> and finding that they are going to end up spending more than
if they had
>> bought it from PC World or Dixons. Why? because nobody has
told them
>about
>> Linux.
>>
>> Paul Grosse.

>> Join us on IRC: irc.lug.org.uk #sderby

>Join us on IRC: irc.lug.org.uk #sderby

Regards

   Ian Simpson

      jensys internet solutions
      Web site Design, Hosting, Improvement and Updates

      E-mail:    info at jensys.net
      Website:  www.jensys.net
      Tel:         +44 (0)7973 380452 (mobile)
                    +44 (0)1332 690051 (land line)
      Address: jensys, PO Box 5585, Derby DE24 9ZL