[Sderby] Linux mags

Paul Grosse paul-grosse at ntlworld.com
Tue Nov 23 19:12:24 GMT 2004

PC Plus has several Linux sections (basic and advanced) and I usually put in
something for the intermediate level in HelpDesk and Helpdesk Extra.

BTW, anyone seeing the uptime graph for my server will see that it went as far
as 82 days (power outage for 6 seconds during a lightening storm) and last
week, I had got back upto 85 days when we had a blackout for only around
500ms. This took out the server again and I had just got it up and running
the way I like it (see tip below) when the power failed for about the same
time again. So, I vowed to get a UPS (which I have now). I was going to get a
UPS after 100 days but circumstances conspired to give me an earlier
opportunity. It's going to be (circumstances permitting) the 9th Feb 2005
before I get to 85 days again. Why does this take so long??? ;-)

Tip... I don't know about anybody else but I keep a file on my desktop with a
ckecklist and effectively howto on boot. This it because I simply would never
remember all of it without.

BTW2, at the last LUG meeting I went to, I mentioned the use of an SMTP
tarpit. If you go to
http://freshmeat.net/projects/smtarpit/
or
http://www.fresh.files2.serveftp.net/
you can see it. The only sys resources it consumes are a bit of memory and a
process. As I've got a fair bit of memory and tens of thousands of PIDs to
spare, the xinetd limit of, say, 20 tarpits it minimal. Each one locks in a
spam process (they are trying to get out 30,000 mails per hour) for several
hours.

In addition to spam, you can also endulge in gluing up phishing attacks or
spanish prisoner attacks by sending them a tarpitted email address. If you
want to, you can use my server for this by using an email address as
follows...
[any.name.you.like]@[anything.you.like].[info2|data2].mine.nu
where any name or thing are just letters and numbers (but not starting with a
number).
Several times a week, I get some phisher trying to email me for several hours
at a time (3.25 hours last time). The more there are, the longer it will take
them to annoy us.
--
Regards,

Paul Grosse