[Sderby] BIND

Andy Davidson andyd at lug.org.uk
Tue Oct 5 17:51:01 BST 2004

On 25 Sep 2004, at 23:49, Mike Hemstock wrote:

> I have the server managing a domain and that works fine and I have
> another server managing a subdomain of the aforementioned domain and
> that also works fine.  When both servers need to consult the root
> servers, this again works fine.  However, what I cannot work out how
> to do is get the domain.com server to consult the sub.domain.com
> server when it needs to resolve names of the subdomain.

I've read through the other replies, and your original question is a
bit confusing.. is this what you describe :

You have a domain 'domain.mike' which is authoratative on dns servers
ns1.mike and ns2.mike, and you have a subdomain 'blah.domain.mike'
which is authoratative on dns servers ns3.mike and ns4.mike.

You want to delegate control of the blah.domain.mike zone to a friend
completely without having to update your own records each time.

You do this by updating the domain.mike zone with records like this :

blah		NS	ns3.mike
blah		NS	ns4.mike

Now, the dns admins of ns3/ns4.mike can create a zone which manages mx
records for the blah.domain.mike zone, and set up their own a records,
etc. for hosts underneath this zone.

This is very similar to the way that zones underneath .co.uk are
delegated.

--
Regards, Andy Davidson
http://www.fotoserve.com/