[Sderby] NVidia Binary.

David Bottrill david at bottrill.org
Wed Mar 16 12:17:59 GMT 2005

Mr Laurie L Proud said:

> Well almost ...........On log out and system shut down the X-Server falls
> over. Think it should switch into SVGA to show shut down script in
> verbose, but have flashing blocks, just like an old Spectrum crash !
>
> Fortuneatly the shut down script executes properly and the system halts
> normally, but I cannot see the verbose shutdown as normal.

I had this problem with a grotty cheap and nasty nvidia card I had at one
time, so I snuck this card into my wife's PC where it works ok on Windows.

The only solution I can think of is to start the computer up in native
mode not quiet or verbose that way it will be in VGA mode and will not be
using a framebuffer. I think this is a combination of the version of Xfree
/ Xorg you are running and the version of the Nvidia driver.

Like I have said before use an up to date version of software as possible
as most odd bugs like this will be fixed. To my recollection the card may
have worked correctly in SuSE 9.2 with xorg whereas it was giving me
problems with xfree86 that was used by SuSE in versions prior to 9.2

David

--
David Bottrill

david at bottrill.org