[Sderby] Re: NVidia Binary > DB's Response

Mr Laurie L Proud laurie at g0llp.fsnet.co.uk
Sun Mar 20 23:51:36 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 16 March 2005 12:17, David Bottrill wrote:

Hello Mike & David,

Thank-you for your reply. On investigation I see that actually what has
been installed is the Nvidia Binary driver version 1.0.4496, which is
fetched as part of the SuSE 8.2 on-line-update, post install.

Mar 20 22:19:04 linux kernel: 0: nvidia: loading NVIDIA Linux x86 nvidia.o
Kernel Module  1.0-4496  Wed Jul 16 19:03:09 PDT 2003

Mar 20 22:19:04 linux insmod: Warning: loading
/lib/modules/2.4.20-4GB/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o will taint the
kernel: non-GPL license - NVIDIA

Mar 20 22:19:04 linux insmod:   See
http://www.tux.org/lkml/#export-tainted for information about tainted
modules

Mar 20 22:19:04 linux insmod: Module nvidia loaded, with warnings

The above is snipped from my boot messages. We did go to the NVidia
website and downloaded the latest version, but we seem to have run the
"geeky Script" on the wrong file. I.e the old one not the new one, version
1.0.7167 which was found untouched in ROOT's home directory.

The installed kernal is back to the original 2.4.20 - Everything work's
fine except the X-Server falls over at machine shut down.

I have spoken to Paul J this evening and we are going to have another
attempt on Sunday. We will get an updated kernal source proberbly via
SuSE's on line update. Can I double check the commands with you.

1) cd /usr/src/linux

make cloneconfig & & make dep

2) sh NVIDIA-Linux-X86-1.0-7167-pkg1.run -q

3) sax2 -m 0=nvidia

Can you please confirm whether this needs to be done with the X-XERVER
NOT running. We ran it first time in a KDE console .........readme's
suggest this was a mistake, but are not conclusive.

this should hook the new kernal into the updated Nvidia driver with luck.

I have no idea why the old driver was used instead of the new one.

Yes indeed, the card worked perfectly under Windose, it also worked
perfectly under SuSE 9.2, but haven't the cycles or memory to drag the
bloat about on this machine. SuSE 8.2 seems faster & complements the
available hardware IMHO.

Thank's for the hand holding. I will keep you posted

Regards Laurie

--
KMail-SuSE Linux Professional