[Sderby] Down with Microsoft

Alan Dunford adunford at ntlworld.com
Thu Feb 1 17:32:52 GMT 2007

Dave Coulson wrote:
> I received the following email today which might interest some of you.
> So please take a look for yourselves and act accordingly -
>
> This has been posted on the WYLUG discussion group.  I've signed, you
> might be interested to and please pass on to your local LUG if it's
> not already cropped up.  http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/OPENSOURCE/
>
> Also the BBC trust are consulting on their online plans and are
> proposing a Microsoft rights managed solution that would prevent non
> microsoft users accessing content.  Again please add your comments and
> if it's not already on your LUG do you want to forward a link to
> this:
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/consult/open-consultations/ondemand_services.html
>

> Cheers Dave Coulson

> Join us on IRC: irc.lug.org.uk #sderby

Does this quote from the documentation not cover the point about Linux
and Apple users having access to the services?

# Platform-agnostic approach: As proposed, the TV catch-up service on
the internet relies on Microsoft technology for the digital rights
management (DRM) framework. The Trust will require the BBC Executive to
adopt a platform-agnostic approach within a reasonable timeframe.  This
requires the BBC to develop an alternative DRM framework to enable users
of other technology, for example, Apple and Linux, to access the
on-demand services.

Alan Dunford

Alan Dunford adunford at ntlworld.com
Sent using Thunderbird, an Open Source Mailer