[StAndrews and Fife LUG] plugins

Gilbert Serex standrews at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Apr 14 22:29:01 2003

Hi,

Have you tried Mozilla? it is like Netscape. it is even in the start
menu under Start > Networking > WWW > Mozilla (mandrake 8-9) this works
well for me.

To create a shortcut on the Desktop, I think you have to drag and drop
from the start menu like on Windows.

I agree that application are not installing themselves on the start menu
but most of the necessary application are already there,  If you really
want to add a button from the desktop to an application use your popup
menu (right mouse button) on the desktop > Create New > Link to
application, select the execute tab and insert the full path to
application there, you can even change the Icon to the one of your
choice (a png) if you click on the default "gear" Icon.

If you don't know where your application is, Type "whereis netscape"
(without the quotes in an Xterm window and it will likely tell you that
NS in under /usr/bin or /bin or else?!

Hope this helps.

I also agree that linux is not for the faintest of hearts but it'll get
there, when you see the latest review on Lindows the gap is closing
pretty well fast.

Gilbert