[StAndrews and Fife LUG] Fwd: newbie

Stuart Anderson standrews at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Apr 30 10:30:00 2003

----- Forwarded message from george ferguson -----
    Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 06:22:52 +0100
    From: george ferguson
 Subject: newbie
      To: stuart@nx14.com

Hi Stuart, I'm new to linux. I have, completely, got rid of windows me
and  I've managed to get Mandrake 8.0 up and running on my laptop
(compaq presario 1200) It has 64meg Ram and a 6gb hard drive. A lot of
the software is quite old on this version (in linux terms) and I was
looking to get some advice on trying to get a more up to date version of
linux that would run on my machine.

I tried to put Mandrake 9.1 on, but I was told that I was low on
resources. In the process of loading, it would not eject the first disc
to put in the second disc etc.

I am running only linux on this machine. Despite the fact that this is
an older version of linux, I am still enjoying learning what it can do.

Any suggestions and help would be appreciated :-)

Regards,

George
(Glenrothes)

----- End forwarded message -----