[Sussex] Openworld goes pingless ....

Mark Harrison Mark at ascentium.co.uk
Mon Aug 25 17:50:01 UTC 2003

Iain,

I think it's true that no-one will _guarantee_ you a seamless handover.
That's just as true of consultants like me as it is of ISPs.

As Nik says - there are tricks and tips, and I'm sure that Phil at 3aIT will
be able to give you good advice.

My advice would be that the bullet will need to be bitten - BT sadly is NOT
a reliable business partner in the Internet space. This goes for BT
Broadband, BT Net (higher end business Internet services), and BT Ignite
(formerly Syncordia, the very high-end integration mob.)

I had to get BT Net out of a client site after they had downtime that cost
said client over £50k in sales :-( Fortunately, I did, rather than just
patching the problem. The same downtime a year later would have cost 3-4
times that.

In terms of ADSL ISPs, I recommend Nildram and Eclipse. (Alas, neither of
these offers me a revenue share.) But these are the two I use with my
clients, and have found them excellent. Broadly, if you NEED a static IP or
range of such, go to Eclipse. If you don't, go to Nildram.

If you feel you NEED more than 8 static IP addresses, then life gets more
complex, and it's also the point at which I start charging for consultancy
:-) There's a trick to RIPE forms :-) :-) :-)

Regards,

Mark