[Sussex] I have a cunning plan...

Iain Stevenson iain at iainstevenson.com
Wed Dec 3 14:44:56 UTC 2003

I may counsel a little caution on the reliability of X10 .... I have X10
controlling lighting in the home and garden.

The X10 stuff is very much built down to a price - I have had two appliance
modules and a computer interface expire this year alone.  It doesn't always
switch on or off as intended due to interference on the mains - so don't
control anything that MUST or MUST NOT work through X10.  I have a script
that sends every X10 command 5 times over a random time interval to make
sure the buggers work.

You will also probably need to invest in some filters - I have two.  Some
devices (eg printers) and UPS slap a capacitor across the mains as a crude
interference suppressor.  Unfortunately this clobbers the X10 signals
completely.

  Iain

--On Wednesday, December 3, 2003 2:14 pm +0000 Matthew Macdonald-Wallace