[Sussex] Gentoo 1.4 RC3

Steve Dobson SDobson at manh.com
Mon Feb 24 11:22:01 UTC 2003

Adam

First, for those of you who haven't picked up on this I'm not a Gentoo
user [use Debian :-)].

On 24 February 2003 at 10:59 Adam Smith wrote:
> Looking forward to that one, hopefully they might fix that
> damn ACPI bug.

I would doubt that there will be much progress on the ACPI bug.  The is/has
[I haven't been tracking for the last few months] a lot of work going in to
the ACPI interface.  When I talked to Ted T [shameless name drop] in June of
last year his advice was to track the development kernel.  The big problem,
as I understand it, is ACPI has been implemented differently by each
hardware
vendor.  As many aren't giving much support to Linux this is not helping on
getting ACPI working.

In the last year there have been very few patches to the 2.4 kernel, and I
wouldn't expect ACPI to be back ported - you may have to upgrade to 2.6 to
get anything like working ACPI.  Of course you could always track the
2.5 kernel releases - that patch number is clocking along nicely.  Of
course this being Gentoo may be the unstable kernel is the default.