[Sussex] Asterisk

Jon Fautley jon at 3ait.co.uk
Fri Feb 27 14:19:35 UTC 2004

Iain Stevenson wrote:

> I've been using Asterisk in my SOHO setup for longer than I can
> remember now.  The thing to watch with the X100P analogue card is that
> it won't handle UK caller ID so if that feature is really important
> asterisk may not be the best solution or you'll have to compromise.

Ah yes, the CLID is a problem :|

You could always get a BT CD50 caller display unit, and hack RS232
support into it (nice and easy) and then write an AGI app to grab the
CLID from the CD50.... I have one sitting at home, just haven't got
around to purchasing the parts to convert it to RS232....

> I have a Grandstream Budgetone (not as nasty as implied, remember the
> price!), 2 Cisco ATA186 analogue telephone adapters (very reliable,
> pigs to set up, more echo than on a SIP phone) and  a Cisco 7960G
> (lots to play with, works very well - OK I 've crashed mine thee times
> developing applications for it, but it's expensive).

They're cheap phones, granted... just DON'T try and use them in anything
other than a home environment, they're really not up to heavy usage.
I keep meaning to get an ATA186, but I have both FXS and FXO cards in my
PBX at home, so I can connect both my BT line and my DECT handsets to
it.. it works well :)

Have you developed any good apps for the C7960? I'd be interested in
taking a look if they're GPL'd :)

> I've got FWD, IAXtel and VoIPTalk accounts running through asterisk.
> I'd agree that Telappliant is a good supplier.

Yeah, I've got a couple of FWD accounts w/0870 numbers pointing to them
from calluk, an IAXtel account that I never use, and a VoIP talk account
that I can't remember when I last used it with about 4 quid of credit on
it...

I've also got trunking setup between a couple of PBX's meaning I can use
remote ISDN lines to place calls wherever I am in the world :)

Jon