[Sussex] Mail server recommendations?

Alan J Fitton alan at loonix.net
Sun Jan 11 17:24:48 UTC 2004

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004, Scott James wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 12:46:20PM +0000, Alan J Fitton wrote:
> > My MTA of choice is Sendmail. Mainly because it's *very* stable and
> > predictable, easy to find documentation for, and very simple. Give it a
> > try before believing what a lot of people say about it, and you'll
> > probably find most of the criticisms are unfair.
>
> You dont find the configuration files complex and the security to be
> troublesome?

Nope. All I had to do was add my LAN address range to the access database
for relaying, add my domains to the local-host-names file. I do know how
to configure the slightly more advanced aspects, but what I made from the
Slackware build script had perfectly sensible defaults. I've never had the
slightest problem with security, the release cycle isn't even that bad
anymore. Spam filtering works great too.

> What was the Ip address of this server?  Lets have a look see how secure
> your sendmail server is!

mx0.ajfuk.net, feel free to have a reasonable poke... You can have a
looksie at BIND too if you feel like it, that's insecure too *grin*

> I cut my teath on sendmail I have no axe to grind, however exim is secure
> and far easier to configure.

Maybe you're thinking of when we had to hack at sendmail.cf... These days
using m4 on an mc configuration is simple, the syntax is logical and easy
to understand in my opinion. I haven't tried exim, so I certainly have
nothing against it. However, I have no reason to switch.

> Pointing new users at sendmail is quite silly.

Mark is hardly a new user, I was when I setup my first sendmail server.

Alan