[Sussex] New & fairly incompetent Linux user

Gareth Ablett Gareth.Ablett at itpserve.co.uk
Thu Sep 16 11:30:24 UTC 2004

 From: Paul Baines [mailto:paul.baines at gmail.com]
 Subject: [Sussex] New & fairly incompetent Linux user

> Hiya, I'm a new(ish) Linux user in Sussex & just signed up to the
> mailing list. Just to be slightly irritating my first post is a plea
> for help! I've been trying & trying to sort out my dial-up internet
> connection but I can't make it at all reliable. It generally takes
> about five attempts to connect and then it usually hangs after the
> first page is loaded. It will normally work if I perservere for long
> enough though so I don't understand why? I dial-up via KPPP and my ISP
> is UKLinux.net (I wouldn't have thought it was an ISP problem though),
> the DNS servers are manually configured & set to the correct addresses
> (i think!) but still no reliability. Sometimes it's fine though,
> somebody suggested that perhaps I need to lock /etc/resolv.conf and
> stop KPPP overwriting it each time. Does that sound plausible? Any
> suggestions greatly appreciated from all you knowldegable people!

Firstly I'd like to welcome you to our little group and hope you may be
able to make it to a lug moot someday :) (ps. Even if I don't :P ).

I had used the same provider some time ago it seem ok at the time but
then when I needed it a couple of months ago the service was much as you
describe there. This may be unlucky as I only tried to use if for a few
quick things, or it could be that the service is just that bad now.
You will often get problems with dial-up accounts that are free (jus the
phone call) though.

A couple of other things to consider is what I did for my sisters
connection, firstly I made the cable that went from the main box socket
was in good condition. Another thing I did was phone up BT and asked
them to put up the gain on the line as this improves you chances of
staying connected.

Hope some of this may help.

Gareth Ablett
Systems Developer

ITP Services Ltd.
http://www.itpserve.co.uk/

The recipient acknowledges that ITP Services Ltd is unable to control
the content of information in transmitting mail and attachments over the
Internet. ITP Services Ltd makes no warranty as to the quality,
accuracy and content of information contained in or with this message.
In
reading, opening or receiving this e-mail the recipient accepts full
responsibility for its content and attachments.