[Sussex] Dual Boot

Gavin Stevens starshine at gavmusic.uklinux.net
Wed Apr 13 23:36:50 UTC 2005

Hi all,

My partner, Tracy, is very keen for me to install Ubuntu on her PC. This
will make it a dual boot system.

She currently has Windows 98 SE (yuk) on her machine. There is only the
one "partition" at present - namely the whole 80GB HDD (I had to build
the system quickly after her old PC died so that she could continue
working & never got round to doing proper partitions).

I am quite happy dealing with creating partitions for Ubuntu & I don't
anticipate any huge problems.

However, does anyone have any hot tips for creating a dual boot system,
in the hope that I may avoid big problems & thus keep Tracy's enthusiasm
for Ubuntu.

In time, I imagine that Tracy will probably ditch Windows, but she needs
to keep it for now so that she can continue to work without
interruption.

If it is of any use, Tracy's PC has the following spec:

Motherboard: Intel D845
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2.4 GHz Celeron
MEM: 256MB
HDD: Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB