[Sussex] FTP - Fedora core 3

Jon Fautley jfautley at redhat.com
Wed Aug 10 18:00:46 UTC 2005

Adam J Purcell wrote:

> Jon, thanks for the tip on 'service vsftpd start'.  I think I was
> vaguely aware of that but I've never really used service, always going
> direct to the scripts.  What's the benefit of this wrapper?

No worries, it's my job, afterall ;)

The 'service' command is basically just a wrapper, as you say. It's
standard across a number of SysV init distros, so means you don't have
to guess at the location of initscripts, etc. It's closely tied in with
chkconfig, which makes enabling/disabling services REALLY easy on SysV
systems.

I find it easier because it's quicker to type than
/etc/init.d/servicename :)

Jon
--
Jon Fautley <jfautley at redhat.com>     direct: +44 1483 739615
  Presales Technical Consultant        office: +44 1483 300169