[Sussex] (no subject)

Mr. Tommasar tommasar at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 5 13:07:24 UTC 2005

Dear SLUG,
The hard drive on my PC has stopped booting up in Windows XP Home. I have
tried everything to start it. There are a great number of files on this hard
drive that I do not wish to lose, but currently cannot access via XP; and
therefore I do not wish to reinstall Windows XP on this hard drive and run
the risk of losing them. I have bought the Knoppix CD at a recent computer
fair, and (brilliant) this has allowed me to read all these files. But
UNFORTUNATELY it will not let me copy or move them onto a recently installed
additional hard drive also running XP (i.e. read-only). A colleague has
informed me that this is because I was running Knoppix from the CD and that
I need to install it on a hard drive in order to be able to copy or move
files. I have installed yet another hard drive with the sole purpose of
using it as a Linex drive, but when I tried to installed Knoppix onto this
hard drive using the instructions provided by SLUG, I get the message “Open
disk, read-only, you have no permission to write”.

Help!!!

Mike